Open SOLIDWORKS assembly in quick view mode from Windows file explorer
SOLIDWORKS enables an option to open large assemblies or drawing in Large Design Review mode (aka Quick View). This allows to only load visual information of assembly and drawing and significantly improves the performance (large assembly usually opens in just few seconds instead minutes or even hours). Individual components can be later loaded on demand.
However this mode is not supported when opening documents from Windows File Explorer.
The following guide explains how to enable Quick View mode directly from the Windows File Explorer.
- Create new folder which will contain the script to open the file in Quick View mode
- Create a text file with an extension of .vbs and name it opener.vbs
- Paste the following code into this file
Dim swApp Set swApp = CreateObject("SldWorks.Application") swApp.Visible = True Dim filePath filePath = WScript.Arguments.Item(0) If filePath <> "" then Dim docSpec Set docSpec = swApp.GetOpenDocSpec(filePath) docSpec.ViewOnly = True Dim swModel Set swModel = swApp.OpenDoc7(docSpec) If swModel is Nothing Then MsgBox "Failed to open document" End If Else MsgBox "File path is not specified" End If
- Create another text file and name it install.cmd
- Add the following line into the install.cmd which will enable a Quick Mode for assemblies
reg add "HKCR\SldAssem.Document\shell\Quick View\command" /ve /d "wscript.exe """%~dp0opener.vbs""" ""%%1""" /f
- If you want to enable Quick View model for drawings, add the following line as well
reg add "HKCR\SldDraw.Document\shell\Quick View\command" /ve /d "wscript.exe """%~dp0opener.vbs""" ""%%1""" /f
- Save both files. It is important to keep those files in the same folder
- Run install.cmd. You might need to run this as an administrator
As the result the Quick View context menu command is added to the Windows File Explorer. Select any assembly and click right mouse button. Click Quick View and the file will be opened in the quick view mode in SOLIDWORKS:
Watch video demonstration