This article will explain how to embed a watermark (license) feature in any model to protect intellectual property or indicate that the model is to be used under the special conditions. This can be useful if license needs to be embedded into the model which cannot be edited by 3rd parties.
The inserted feature cannot be deleted, suppressed, removed or changed by user interface or API.
The feature can be inserted into any SOLIDWORKS model (part, document, drawing or template).
Feature is fully embedded into the model.
The solution consists of 2 parts:
- Authoring macro. This is used to insert the watermark. This macro is not embedded to the model
- Watermark macro. This macro represents a watermark feature and will be directly embedded into the model
Setting up authoring macro
- Create new macro in SOLIDWORKS (Tools->Macro->New… command from the SOLIDWORKS menu)
- Specify the name to save this file
- Copy the following code into the macro
Const WATERMARK_MACRO_NAME As String = "Watermark.swp" Const SECURITY_NOTE As String = "www.codestack.net" Const BASE_NAME As String = "Watermark" Sub main() Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks Set swApp = Application.SldWorks Dim swModel As SldWorks.ModelDoc2 Set swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc If Not swModel Is Nothing Then Dim watermarkMacroPath As String watermarkMacroPath = swApp.GetCurrentMacroPathFolder() & "\" & WATERMARK_MACRO_NAME Dim vMethods(8) As String Dim moduleName As String GetMacroEntryPoint swApp, watermarkMacroPath, moduleName vMethods(0) = watermarkMacroPath: vMethods(1) = moduleName: vMethods(2) = "swmRebuild" vMethods(3) = watermarkMacroPath: vMethods(4) = moduleName: vMethods(5) = "swmEditDefinition" vMethods(6) = watermarkMacroPath: vMethods(7) = moduleName: vMethods(8) = "swmSecurity" Dim swFeat As SldWorks.Feature Set swFeat = swModel.FeatureManager.InsertMacroFeature3(BASE_NAME, "", vMethods, _ Empty, Empty, Empty, Empty, Empty, Empty, _ Empty, swMacroFeatureOptions_e.swMacroFeatureEmbedMacroFile + swMacroFeatureOptions_e.swMacroFeatureAlwaysAtEnd) If Not swFeat Is Nothing Then Dim swSecNote As SldWorks.note If SECURITY_NOTE <> "" Then Set swSecNote = swModel.FeatureManager.InsertSecurityNote(SECURITY_NOTE, swFeat) End If Else MsgBox "Failed to create watermark feature" End If Else MsgBox "Please open model" End If End Sub Sub GetMacroEntryPoint(app As SldWorks.SldWorks, macroPath As String, ByRef moduleName As String) Dim vMethods As Variant vMethods = app.GetMacroMethods(macroPath, swMacroMethods_e.swAllMethods) Dim i As Integer If Not IsEmpty(vMethods) Then For i = 0 To UBound(vMethods) Dim vData As Variant vData = Split(vMethods(i), ".") If i = 0 Or LCase(vData(1)) = "swmRebuild" Then moduleName = vData(0) End If Next End If End Sub
Setting up watermark macro
- Create another new macro
- Specify the name of this macro as Watermark.swp and save it to the same folder as previous authoring macro
If different name is used it is required to modify this name in the following constant of the authoring macro
Const WATERMARK_MACRO_NAME = "Watermark.swp"
- Change the security note in the constant to be displayed as read-only non-modifiable note.
Const SECURITY_NOTE = "www.codestack.net"
- Copy the following code into the macro
Const MESSAGE As String = "Sample model by CodeStack" Const FEATURE_NAME As String = "www.codestack.net" Function swmRebuild(varApp As Variant, varDoc As Variant, varFeat As Variant) As Variant swmRebuild = True End Function Function swmEditDefinition(varApp As Variant, varDoc As Variant, varFeat As Variant) As Variant On Error Resume Next varApp.SendMsgToUser2 MESSAGE, swMessageBoxIcon_e.swMbInformation, swMessageBoxBtn_e.swMbOk swmEditDefinition = True End Function Function swmSecurity(varApp As Variant, varDoc As Variant, varFeat As Variant) As Variant On Error Resume Next Const swMacroFeatureSecurityCannotBeDeleted As Long = 1 Const swMacroFeatureSecurityCannotBeSuppressed As Long = 4 Const swMacroFeatureSecurityCannotBeReplaced As Long = 8 Const swMacroFeatureSecurityEnableNote As Long = 16 swmSecurity = swMacroFeatureSecurityCannotBeDeleted + swMacroFeatureSecurityCannotBeReplaced + swMacroFeatureSecurityCannotBeSuppressed + swMacroFeatureSecurityEnableNote If varFeat.Name <> FEATURE_NAME Then varFeat.Name = FEATURE_NAME End If End Function
Modifying the parameters
There are few parameters which can be modified for the macro which are defined as constants at the top of the macro
Const MESSAGE As String = "Watermark Feature by CodeStack" Const FEATURE_NAME As String = "www.codestack.net"
- MESSAGE is the custom message displayed when the watermark feature is edited by the user
- FEATURE_NAME name of the watermark feature in the Feature manager tree
Setting the macro password
Assign the password to the watermark macro so it cannot be changed by users.
- Select Properties command from the context menu of Watermark macro
- Select the Protection tab
- Check the Lock project for viewing option
- Specify the password in the password boxes
- Save the macro and close
Inserting the watermark
- To insert the watermark just open the model and run the Authoring Macro
- Save the model
- Watermark feature will always be moved to the bottom of the feature tree
- When definition of the watermark feature is edited
the custom message is displayed
- The following message is displayed on attempt to delete the feature
- Non editable security note is added in the model at the origin
- Feature name cannot be changed. It is possible to rename it, but the name will be reverted while state update (e.g. select, rebuild, open model, etc.)