This example demonstrates different approaches of selecting entities (e.g. edge, face, vertex) in the drawing views
- Selecting entity in the target view via direct IView:SelectEntity method. This method is useful when it is required to select entity without the need of passing any additional data (such as selection mark or callout).
- Selecting entity by specifying the view in the selection data via ISelectData::View property. This enables more flexibility compared to previous method as it is possible to provide more selection information.
- Selecting visual entities. This approach allows to find the entity in the context of the drawing view. The main benefit as it would only attempt to select the entity which is visible in the current view orientation while previous two approaches do not consider the case where entity is hidden behind other entities.
- To run the macro download the sample model and the drawing.
- Circular edge was named Hole in the part document
- Run the macro and this edge is selected in all 3 views with 3 different approaches described above.
Const ENT_NAME As String = "Hole" Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks Dim swDraw As SldWorks.DrawingDoc Sub main() Set swApp = Application.SldWorks Set swDraw = swApp.ActiveDoc Dim swView1 As SldWorks.view Dim swView2 As SldWorks.view Dim swView3 As SldWorks.view Set swView1 = swDraw.FeatureByName("Drawing View1").GetSpecificFeature() Set swView2 = swDraw.FeatureByName("Drawing View2").GetSpecificFeature() Set swView3 = swDraw.FeatureByName("Drawing View3").GetSpecificFeature() Dim swRefDoc As SldWorks.PartDoc Set swRefDoc = swView1.ReferencedDocument Dim swEdge As SldWorks.Edge Set swEdge = swRefDoc.GetEntityByName(ENT_NAME, swSelectType_e.swSelEDGES) swDraw.ClearSelection2 True SelectInView swView1, swEdge SelectInViewBySelData swView2, swEdge SelectFromVisibleEntities swView3 End Sub Sub SelectInView(view As SldWorks.view, ent As SldWorks.Entity) view.SelectEntity ent, True End Sub Sub SelectInViewBySelData(view As SldWorks.view, ent As SldWorks.Entity) Dim swSelMgr As SldWorks.SelectionMgr Dim swSelData As SldWorks.SelectData Set swSelMgr = swDraw.SelectionManager Set swSelData = swSelMgr.CreateSelectData swSelData.view = view 'specify the view to select entity in ent.Select4 True, swSelData End Sub Sub SelectFromVisibleEntities(view As SldWorks.view) Dim vVisComps As Variant vVisComps = view.GetVisibleComponents() Dim vVisEnts As Variant vVisEnts = view.GetVisibleEntities2(vVisComps(0), swViewEntityType_e.swViewEntityType_Edge) Dim i As Integer For i = 0 To UBound(vVisEnts) Dim swEdge As SldWorks.Entity Set swEdge = vVisEnts(i) If swEdge.ModelName = ENT_NAME Then swEdge.Select4 True, Nothing 'no need to explicitly specify the view to select in as pointer to the entity already belongs to the view Exit Sub End If Next End Sub